A couple years ago, I decided I wanted to make The Farmer’s Wife quilt. I decided on a black, white, red, and grey color theme. I wanted a skull on every block. (There was a reason for this, which I will talk about in a later post.)
I also decided I wanted to hand-piece all the blocks. It made sense at the time. My health wasn’t the greatest and I was spending a lot of time in bed. Hand-sewing quilt blocks made me feel slightly less like I was wasting my life away.
Since that time, I’ve gotten a new doctor and things have turned around. I discovered something important: I really hate hand-piecing. Try as I might, I just can’t seem to make myself sit and do it. I never got more than 20 blocks stitched (and I didn’t even like how some turned out).
I’ve finally accepted reality. I will never hand-stitch any more Farmer’s Wife blocks. I decided it was time to just turn these 20 into something else. So I present to you: The Farmer’s Wife’s Baby!
It is approximately 44 x 50. Simple stitch-in-the-ditch quilting around each block and the borders. Special shout-out to my boss, who let me stitch binding at work while we were having software issues.
I’m not sure what to do with it now! A baby quilt with skulls on it… that’s not something you give away willy-nilly, be it as a gift or to charity. Not everyone shares my love of the human skull.
Oh well. For now, it’s a finish and I’m sure I’ll find a good home for it eventually.
I’m starting the Farmer’s Wife again with the same theme, but machine piecing (and some foundation piecing) this time around.